Monday, May 2, 2016

Vladimir Ussachevsky: Suite from "No exit" (1962)



People seemed to like the avant-garde pieces I posted so here's one that I found ... well, I can't exactly say moving.  Compelling, maybe.   It's electronic music made for a film production of Sartre's dead depressing and oppressive play No Exit.

Here's a production in English from 1964, Harold Pinter appears in it as an actor, which is pretty interesting, itself.  I can't say I like the play which, like everything I ever read of Sartre seems to be geared to depress and oppress and which goes nowhere.  Existentialism is one of the list of ways of thinking about life in the universe, "the human conditions" in Walter Breuggemann's book  The Bible Makes Sense, which I'm still engaged in studying.  Existentialism is a philosophy for depressive adolescents and young adults when you have time to waste on that kind of thing.  That is if you don't fall in a hole and decide to end it all.  In the end, I like the music more than the play though it is kind of scary in a claustrophobic way.

Here is a French movie from 1954 with music that is even more depressing.

Update:  Stupy Stales thinks that No Exit is a comedy.  I am guessing it's another case of him reading the Cliff Notes instead of the play.   It's one of the bleaker visions by one of the bleakest authors of the last century.  I'll bet he thinks La Nausée is a laugh riot too.  Or at least he'll fake it, like he does pretty much everything that didn't happen right under his nose in NYC in the 1960s and 70s.   And I wouldn't take his word for any of that, either.

Update 2:   I could be standing at the bottom of the Quechee Gorge and Stupy wouldn't be able to produce anything that could go over my head from the bridge across it.

2 comments:

  1. I would rise in defense of existentialism but I'm too tired and nobody gives a shit and what's the point anyway? Besides which I always preferred Heidegger and Kierkegaard over Sartre, even though I have a soft spot for French phenomenology.

    But like I said, why bother? It's all about the burden of choice and the problem of freedom and something Absurd.

    Or something. I dunno. Deconstruct it and call me in the morning. Or don't. I won't be there. And if I am, I won't know it.

    Pfft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I'm in a really ornery mood. Giving up coffee is really hard. I'm hoping to be over it before the year is out.

      Delete