Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare



Yeah, I know I've posted it before but I was thinking about my father and I always associate this recording with him.   He loved the Dorseys and this was the last thing Jimmy Dorsey recorded.  He probably played his heart out because he knew it was about the last thing he would be doing as he was dying of cancer.

I once read that the Charlie Parker said that Jimmy Dorsey was his favorite sax player.  I don't know if that were true but it's quite possible, I'd think.  Dorsey had already survived Parker, who was one of the most miraculous and brilliant musicians who ever lived, even in his own self-destruction.  I hope he knew that such a giant respected his playing.

Sorry, just letting my molecules work themselves out, it's nothing to do with me. Really, I had to do it, my smart genes made me do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment