Thursday, May 23, 2013

More on The Forbidden Language

I had a request asking how someone might learn to join the band of disreputable outcasts who use the "Aggressor Language" .  I'm not making this up, you know.  It was actually called that by the Pentagon (Fun youtube at the link*)   Ironically it's something they seem to have shared with Stalin and Hitler who killed people for being Esperantists.  Darkly and ironically fun,  huh?

Esperanto U.S.A. has a list of ways to learn it, many of them free and online.   I used the old version of  "Teach Yourself Esperanto,"  which is about the only one of their language books I've tried that really worked.  If you really work that book, you should be able to read and understand just about anything you're likely to encounter, using a dictionary far fewer times than you will with any other language.   I understand a new edition is even better and comes with language discs.

*Someone should have told them that "j" is pronounced like English "y".

Update:  I should say that I don't agree with Esperanto USA about #3, the "video course"  Pasporto al La Tuta Mondo, which I doubt anyone could learn much from.  It's pretty silly.  You'll learn a lot more from the more old fashioned courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment