Monday, September 17, 2018

Debussy - Masques


Lazare Levy, piano

I come back to listen to this 1929 performance once in a while because since I first heard it about a decade ago it seems to me to be the single greatest example of Debussy playing I've ever heard.  I thought so the first time I heard it, I have thought so every single time since then.  It is an incredibly powerful example of sustained concentration, I doubt that lapses for a single note.  Lazare Levy was among the greatest technicians but also one of the greatest interpreters of the composer's intentions.  That's always an act of imagination, in the best cases of being able to get inside the composers' mind and soul by way of their instructions on how to play what they composed.  For me, this is among the greatest examples of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment