Thursday, October 18, 2018

Do Preppies Know What Real People Are Like?

Duncan Black this morning

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2018


Do People Know What "Pre-Existing Conditions" Are?

I woke up too early and turned on local news so I saw some political ads. I am sure some people do, but I also think this is a bit wonk talk that normies don't understand. Correct me?

I wonder what you base your skepticism on except your prep=>Ivy Leaguer snobbery.  I wonder how many "normies" you really have ever talked to, as opposed to members of your fellow elite.   I live in a largely blue collar milieu in which I probably talk to fewer than two dozen prep=>Ivys in a year and I'd guess that virtually all of those with health insurance from before the ACA was adopted know what pre-existing conditions are.  If they haven't run up against refusals they know someone who had or who had had a family member refused the insurance they paid for on that basis.  Or had been refused a policy on that basis.

I don't know how many people like me have experienced it, but I'd imagine lots of us are familiar with this kind of conceit masquerading as something of the left.  It accounts for why so many people don't trust the left.  If Barack Obama hadn't been a prep=>Ivy kind of guy a. the ACA would have been written in a way that it was far more popular, b. he'd have actually made an effort to sell it to the American People in language they could understand instead of "wonk talk" which I would almost guarantee you "pre-existing conditions" isn't due to how many real people were introduced to the term when they or someone they knew were refused coverage on that basis.

Geesh! are you guys ever dense, clueless and tone-deaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment