Thursday, October 2, 2014

I Will Paraphrase

You can't bring up Leonard Darwin because I never heard of him before!

The exclamation mark stands in for several expletives.

No.... No...No.    I don't tailor what I write for people who don't know already and won't learn when they're presented with something new.   I write what I found - ususally not having known either, before looking -  and anyone who wants to check can check to see if I've gotten it right or if what I conclude from it makes sense.  Sort of the opposite who your average online magazine writer writes to. 

2 comments:

  1. The universe of discourse on the intertoobs has to be limited to what I already know, otherwise it's cheating.

    Everybody knows that's in keeping with all internet conventions.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. If people only want to hear what they think they already knew it's even worse than TV which will have on something that you never knew before. I'm sure, since I've never watched one before, I'd learn something from a "reality" TV show. I watched about fifteen minutes of "Survivor" when it was first on, thought it was even stupider than a 1960s relationship based game show and never went back. Clearly, reality isn't what it used to be.

    I'm astonished at how stupid the commentators at Salon generally are. Another great insight, I think you first mentioned it to me, was that click bait pretty much determines the content of online magazines. Even those like Mother Jones.

    ReplyDelete