Monday, August 3, 2026

I just barely remember the Edsel While It Was Happening Because It Was Born A Joke

WORD ON THE WEB IS ELON'S "TRUCK" is a bigger flop than Edsel Ford's  posthumous namesake.  And the stories are coming out as Musk's insanely overhyped and Trump-regime permitted con job in "AI" is crashing and ruining those who bought into it. Only the rare surviving Edsels are favored by a niche in the classic car collecting and restoring hobby,  I doubt Elon's Edsel is going to be keeping one running will probably be a harder thing to do.

Edsel Ford is remembered as a joke, largely because of a car produced about a decade after his death but, from what I read this morning, he was something of a real innovator and business success, having pushed things like the very successful Model A and innovations in the engineering of cars which his total A-hole of a father opposed.  It's for completeness instead of fairness to Henry that Edsel was a bit of a Nazi collaborator until the US entered the war - Edsel, though, had had the insight to push starting an airplane division that made Ford part of the war effort.   Henry hadn't been able to imagine a commercial application for flying so he'd opposed that. 

That is certainly something I doubt anyone will say about Elon Musk whose greatest skill is in shaking down governments to give him business and money.  Every time there is something about Elon Musk, his image . . . . Nazi salute, I can't believe he ever had and still has the same kind of cult of worshipers that so many other anti-saints of capitalism have had.   The guy, on top of being a total sex creep in his white-supremacist white, drug-habit weight fluctuating body, on top of being a white supremacist Nazi who, thanks to Trump and the Roberts Court may well top Hitler's body count in those he will end up as having killed, and a Nazi saluting douche-bag.   He is an idiot savant at being a grifter.   

I was a huge skeptic of the idol of affluent cyber enthusiasts,  Steve Jobs, who was a total asshole in so many ways but he was nothing like the plague on the world that Musk is.  

That other conman, P.T. Barnum got his estimate wrong, there aren't enough minutes to account for the number of suckers in the world,  not by a long shot.  And so many of them are affluent capitalists in the developed countries, enough for them to be a danger to the world.   As it is, dangerous enough as ignorant white-supremacists are,  those who have been to college are a lot more dangerous. 

I think it's unfortunate that Elon's "truck" won't have a two-syllable name to turn it into a joke that slips off the lips as easily as "Edsel".  I've thought of Elsel, Lonsel, etc.  I read in Wiki that Marianne Moore was asked by the Edsel team for suggestions in naming - what she is said to have come up with would make me think less of her poetry though that's pretty uneven already.   If Musk was known as a wino instead of a ketamine addict I'd float "Muskatel" because I think a late stage wino could have drawn up a better truck - I've heard that Musk was the one who drew it though that might just be internet myth.    

Just for something a little different.  I've got lots of typing to do before the next part of the Marbury bashing series comes out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment