Monday, October 5, 2026

John Roberts Is Today's Roger Taney

THE REPORTING ON JOHN ROBERTS' and his vile wife and family being subjected to the reportedly intense disapproval of him expressed on Hupper Island where he bought an ocean front house and adjoining property to enjoy themselves, and in the mainland community of Port Clyde makes me smile.  

I am glad that there are those in my state who are letting the main author of the new fascist government we are beginning to experience know that he's going to pay some price for that.  He should never be allowed to live it down though he live to be 120.  None of them should be allowed to do that nor should any of those who put the Republican-fascist six on the Supreme Court. 

I'm sure that Roberts is mentally incapable of the kind of moral reflection that would lead a moral  person to realize the evil that he has ushered in in destroying equality and democracy in the United States,  if he had that kind of ability for that level of moral reflection he never would have had the career he has. - he probably would never have become a lawyer of the kind he was.   I will note in passing the elite Catholic prep and the Ivy League schools he went to didn't seem to give him that.  i don't trust elite preps and Ivy League level universities because they have provided the bulk of our elite criminal class. 

John Roberts will never feel or even express insincere regret for what he has done,  including for the murders of fishermen, of protesters, of innocent people murdered by ICE and DHS and the murders of school girls in Iran by the man he made an impume monarch.   He certainly will never feel any regret from restarting American apartheid - that has been the most constant focus of his entire career as a lawyer, a judge, a "justice"   HE IS A GENTEEL WHITE SUPREMACIST, among the most dangerous of that kind.   I believe in the rare possibility of such an intense racist to see the error of their ways - though in the cases I know, they were blue collar people who weren't given the ideological and academic excuses to pretend their racism either wan't racism or that it was right on some "higher principle."   But Roberts isn't going to be one of those.   The ones I've known came to abandon their racism to any extent through human relations, often because their children or grandchildren married across racial lines.   Though I've also known cases in which People were disowned for that reason.   Roberts is not ever going to be a former racist.  It's his professional career. 

And that's only one of the issues in which Roberts has earned the loathing of anyone who values democracy, equality, justice, fairness and the lives of ordinary People of no wealth.  I am not thoroughly versed in the legal decisions of Roger Taney but what earned him that kind of thing was that one horrifically bad decision,  Roberts and his fascist colleagues have issued several such decisions.   He may fairly be judged, someday, to have outdone Taney in earning the status of a bad name in democracy and history.   As can the other five of his fascist majority and those in the majority of the Rehnquist Court.    

All of them can be credited with giving the branch of government that was regularly given a pass before Rehnquist took over as Chief "justice"  the status as likely the worst of the three branches.  As I have been noting here since the end of July,  you can credit SOME eras of Congress and some presidents with making Civil Rights, Voting Rights and other Acts that expanded on that promissory note of the Declaration of Indendence.   They passed clean elections laws in the wake of the Nixon crime spree,  they made laws protecting the environment and a host of other good laws THAT THE SUPREME COURT OVER THE COURSE OF ITS HISTORY HAVE NULLIFIED AND OVERTURNED AND MADE MEANINGLESS BY THEIR RULINGS MOWING THOSE DOWN.   That is far more typical of the Court than even the presidents,  even the Senate where under our system good legislation is often sent to die has more creditable behavior.   You can really only credit one brief era of the Supreme Court with something somewhat better, under Warren and part of the Burger years up to Buckley v Valeo.  And they frequently proved themselves stupid in their attempts at doing better. 

You have to be really bad to earn the kind of name that John Roberts has for himself.   You don't hear much about Waite or Fuller though they were pretty bad and presided of vile courts.    

Roberts will already go down as one of the two worst in our history,  Taney being his sole competition for that position.   I'm glad that at least on one tiny corner of Maine coastline  he's getting some of what he's earned in this life.   I'm sure he can arrange his time in the DC area and elsewhere to shield him from consequences.  His wife gets enough dirty money to do that from her side-job which in an honest system would be illegal.   And I'm sure Roberts could get billionaires with business before the court to arrange that for him as they do other members of his Court.   I wish there was some way to keep him away from my state but at least he can be kept from enjoying it like he used to.    I haven't been to Port Clyde since I had a college friend who was from there.  I'd heckle him if I saw him there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment